How to Care for Titanium Jewelry
Titanium jewelry can be found in Commercially Pure Grade 1 or in other alloys, meaning it is mixed with other metals the way that gold and silver are often mixed with other metals to improve their color or durability. Titanium is an incredible material for jewelry because it is light weight, ultra-comfortable, and hypoallergenic. Furthermore, Titanium is non-reactive, meaning it does not create a tarnished surface. If you have had to polish your sterling silver, you can appreciate this fact.
The surface of Titanium is naturally gray and shiny. After much wear it can become dulled a bit with residue build-up, especially if it has come into contact with sweat, oils, or beauty products (like hairspray, lotion, perfumes, etc.). As a proactive strategy, I would like to recommend the “last on, first off” strategy for keeping your jewelry as clean as possible. This means put it on after you’ve done your hair and makeup and take it off when you get home first thing.
Cleaning your Titanium jewelry is recommended for hygienic reasons as well as to remove any build up and return its shiny surface. It is very simple and requires materials you probably already have at home. Please note: if your Titanium jewelry also has gemstones or pearls, it is not advised to submerge the pieces into water or to soak them.
Instructions for Cleaning Titanium Jewelry
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Two soft cloths
- A small bowl
- Warm water
- Dishwashing soap (like Dawn)
- For Titanium jewelry with gemstones / pearls,use a clean, dry soft cloth to gently wipe away any dirt / build-up / smudges on the surfaces of any gemstones or pearls on your Titanium jewelry.
- Fill the small bowl with warm water and add dishwashing soap. Mix the soap into the warm water.
- For Titanium jewelry with gemstones / pearls,dip the cloth into the soapy water and use it to gently scrub and wash the Titanium parts of the jewelry taking care not to get the soapy water on the gemstones / pearls. For Titanium jewelry that doesn't have any gemstones / pearls, place the jewelry into the soapy water and leave it to soak for a few minutes before using the soft cloth to gently scrub the surfaces.
- Rinse your soft cloth and wipe the soapy Titanium surfaces clear of any soapy water.
- Use the second soft cloth to dry and gently polish the Titanium surfaces of the jewelry by rubbing the cloth across the surfaces a few times.
- Enjoy! Repeat this process as needed every so often to keep your Titanium jewelry looking beautiful and to keep your ear piercings clean and feeling good.
Take care ~ XOXO ~ Amanda Jensen