Sea Salt Soak
If you have recently had your ear lobes pierced or your ear piercings are irritated from some sort of local trauma, you need some relief from the inflammation and pain, and to allow your ears to heal. In either case, a Sea Salt Soak is recommended.
Here’s what you need:
- Sea salt, non-iodized (found at your grocery store or drug store)
- Distilled water
- ¼ teaspoon
- 1 cup measuring cup
- Disposable cups
- Clean, dry towel
- Earrings that you know you do not react to (Please note, pearls, some gemstones, and earrings made with an adhesive can be ruined or weakened by a Sea Salt Soak so they are not a good choice.)
- Start with washing your hands (always do so before touching your ear piercings so you do not introduce bacteria that can cause infection).
- Warm the distilled water. It is best to get it as warm as you can tolerate (without burning yourself).
- Mix in ¼ teaspoon of the non-iodized sea salt per 1 cup (or 8 oz) of warmed distilled water. Pour into a disposable cup.
- Hold the affected ear lobe in the sea salt water for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Allow the ear lobe to air dry (use the clean, dry towel to dry any drips).
- Dispose of the sea salt water and cup used for the first ear lobe.
- If the second ear lobe also needs to be soaked, be sure to start with clean sea salt water and a new clean disposable cup. You may need to reheat or make more of the sea salt water solution in Step 3. Then repeat Steps 4 – 6.
- Repeat this process twice a day until symptoms resolve or the piercings have healed.
You will need to keep your earrings in during the Sea Salt Soak process and as such, pearls, certain gemstones, and earrings made with adhesive will not be a good choice as they can be ruined by the soaking process.
Ensure that you are not allergic to the jewelry metal you are wearing in your ear lobes so as not to create another (worse?) problem (check our Materials page for details about jewelry metals to help you deduce which metals to try).
Hoops that are made of a hypoallergenic metal for your body are the best choice to wear during a Sea Salt Soak healing process since they allow room for your ear lobes to breathe and allow room for any swelling. If you are looking for appropriate healer earrings, Pretty Sensitive Ears’ Relief Hoops are an excellent option and can be made in nickel free Niobium, nickel free Titanium, or Surgical Steel based on your needs.
XOXO ~ Amanda Jensen ~ Pretty Sensitive Ears
Please Note: This is not intended to replace medical advice from a doctor. If you have any concerning symptoms, you should of course seek the assistance of a medical professional.